The Carleton College facilities office would like to remind neighbors and Northfield area community members of a number of projects that may impact the use of College facilities this summer.
The two main projects that may affect community users are taking place in athletic areas, as the Bell Field tennis courts will be removed and replaced and both pools at West Gym and Cowling Recreation Center will be closed.
The Bell Field tennis courts’ demolition might begin as early as June 1. Access for this project will be via the Upper Arboretum entry at 2nd and Oak Streets, including the hauling out of the demolition debris, and the import of new base material and asphalt. Access to the Upper Arboretum via this path may be limited at times due to the construction traffic. Most of Bell Field will be available for typical summer activity. The Arboretum tennis courts will remain in place for now and be available for use, but they are in poor condition. The new tennis courts will be ready for play by September 1.
Both pools will be out of service for mandatory code upgrades this summer beginning on June 20 through August 15.
Other noticeable projects on campus this summer include two entry points on our campus. The north entry off Highway 19 will be modified to align with the lower Arboretum parking lot entry. This access to campus may be disrupted or unavailable at times for approximately one month. The exact start date has yet to be determined, with completion coming no later than September 1. Additionally, the plaza area in front of Sayles Hill has been redesigned to provide additional bike parking and better pedestrian circulation. Most of the existing sidewalks will be removed. The project will be staged so that the front doors and the accessible ramp will be available for use at all times. Again, the exact start date has yet to be determined, with completion coming no later than September 1.
Finally, a number of smaller projects will take place this summer:
- The lawn area bordered by Nourse, LDC, Meyers, and Cassat/ Memorial Halls will be renovated. This will include removal and replacement of some sidewalks, and substantially raising the grade of most of the lawn area.
- Roads and parking areas throughout campus are scheduled for seal coating, including the Musser/ Burton service drive, the main campus drive from Sayles to the north entry, the Chapel parking lot, the Laird Stadium south lot and the Recreation Center lot. This work will be scheduled for mid August and will take approximately two days. Parking and driving will be restricted during this period.
- Additional bike racks will be installed at the front of the Library. This project will not interfere with access to the building. There may one or two days of concrete and wall demolition that will create noise and dust near the entry plaza.
- The west steps at Olin will be replaced this summer, as they are badly deteriorated and unsafe.
- We expect to do a modest amount of weed spraying this summer. This work will be done in mid-August when the fewest number of people are around campus.
For more information on these and other Carleton-related projects, please contact Gloria Heinz, facilities communications specialist, at (507) 222-4167 or at email@example.com.