The American Music Concentration, open to all students, brings together the most prominent strands of American music scholarship on campus and provides students with a framework for understanding the diverse musics and musical cultures of America.
Taking its inspiration from the multidisciplinary approaches characteristic of this emerging field, the concentration includes:
- A gateway course surveying American musical history and genres
- One course from a field or interdisciplinary area offering a critical perspective on American culture
- Three courses offering in-depth study of musical traditions essential to the American soundscape
- One course in which detailed exploration of a single cultural site or perspective will deepen students’ understanding of the importance of particular social institutions or circumstances shaping musical life; and
- A capstone research seminar in which students pursue individual projects.
No previous musical experience is required of concentrators.