Every summer the faculty in the Chemistry Department offer research opportunities for undergraduate colleagues. Note that these summer research positions are only made available to Carleton students. A summer stipend is paid to the undergraduate research colleague at the college's going rate for a ten-week period. These stipends are funded through individual grants that faculty have obtained to carry out their research or through general grants made to the college that support student-faculty research such as the Howard Hughes Medical Institute grant.
We have instituted an application process to make sure everyone who is interested in research comes to the attention of the faculty. There are always more applicants than positions on campus, so all students are encouraged to apply for research positions off campus as well.
An overview of the application process for chemistry summer research at Carleton in 2017, including application procedures and specifics on research opportunities, can be found here. Our application process begins with our Summer Research Recruiting Seminar on Friday, January 20, 2017, at 3:30 p.m. At the seminar, faculty planning on hiring student research colleagues will provide brief descriptions of their research.
There are literally hundreds of undergraduate research opportunities at various colleges and universities throughout the country. Many of these are open to general application from any undergraduate, even if you are not enrolled at their institution. The range of research areas in also enormous. If you have a specific research interest, it is very likely that a research opportunity exists that you are eligible to apply for. Check out some of the links listed below to begin your search. There are also paper copies of many announcements posted outside the Chemistry Department office on the bulletin board across from Mudd 165.
- National Science Foundation Research Experiences for Undergraduates Sites
- American Chemical Society Listing of Research Experiences, Internships, and Co-ops in Chemistry and Related Fields
- CIRRUS, Chemistry Internet Resource for Research by Undergraduate Students
- UROP, Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program: a general listing of many nation-wide undergraduate research opportunities maintained by the University of California, Irvine
- The American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- American Chemical Society, Directory of Graduate Research (Click on the REU Search link)
For the current academic year, specific research announcements can be found in The Weekly Beaker, search under the Summer Research tab.