Pre-Departure Checklist for Carleton Programs
Check your program’s Moodle site regularly for pre-departure instructions, requirements, and deadlines. You will receive access to the site after you submit your Agreement Form. In addition, make sure you take care of the following items:
- Designate an academic proxy and meet with your adviser to discuss courses for your return, if you will not be able to register on-line.
- Register your proxy for housing with Res Life before you leave campus.
- Pay all your bills and library fees.
- Get the International Student ID card at the OCS office, if needed.
- Update your passport. If necessary, get a visa. Be sure that one of your parents or guardians has a valid passport.
- Visit a travel clinic, complete health assessment form, and get any required immunizations.
- Get extra glasses or contacts, solution, etc., and prescription medications (with a letter from a prescribing doctor).
- Find out about your health insurance coverage and buy travel insurance, if necessary
- Fortify your bank account, inform your bank that you will be traveling, and confirm that you can use your ATM (debit or credit) card in your destination country. Set aside some emergency cash to take with you in dollars, euros, or another major currency.
- Check that your camera works (or learn how to use it) and stock up on memory cards and batteries.
- Look into cost and conditions of international cell phone plans, calling cards, availability of cell phones and internet access, etc. in your host country.
An on-line cultural training resource for study abroad developed by Bruce La Brack of the University of the Pacific. Contains interactive activities and material on intercultural adjustments.
An on-line resource containing resources of reflective practices that help you make the most of your experience abroad developed by Jill Fischer at Gustavus Adolphus College.
- Questions to ask yourself when selecting a program
- Program Features
- Resources to consult when choosing an OCS program
- Pre-Departure Checklist for Carleton Programs
- Pre-Departure Video and Checklist for non-Carleton Programs
- Program Evaluation
- Transitioning Back to the United States & Carleton
- Going Abroad Again
- Integrating OCS into Academic/Career/Life planning