Students interested in shadowing or internship opportunities through Carleton are encouraged to contact the Career Center, or work with local practitioners.
The Carleton Pre-health Association (CPA) is a student organization on campus for students that are interested in the health professions.
Please visit the Pathways Health Professions page for more resources.
Also, opportunities through the Carleton Biology department are available to all current students.
Health Professions Resources
All Health Careers
- MCAT - Medical/M.D./Ph.D. & Osteopathy
- DAT - Dentistry
- PCAT - Pharmacy
- GRE - Occupational/Physical Therapy/ Public Health & Veterinary School
- American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM)
- American Osteopathic Association - For Patients, Consumers and Media
- American Osteopathic Association - For Health Industry Professionals
- Osteopathic International Alliance
- Three Crucial Questions When Applying to MD-PhD Programs
- M.D./Ph.D. Programs, Articles, Publications, and Other Research Related
Organizations from the AAMC.
- MD/PhDs.org - “Guide for Tomorrow's Physician Scientists”
- MSTP Institutions
- American Dental Education Association
- American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry
- American Dental Association
- What is Public Health?
- American Association of Schools of Public Health
- American Association of Public Health Physicians
- Environmental HealthCenter for Occupational and Environmental Medicine
- PH.D. Program in Biological Sciences in Public Health at Harvard University
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
- Masters in Public Health
- AAMC International Health Opportunities Database
- Child Family Health International
- Cross-Cultural Solutions
- ECELA Medical Spanish Program
- Flying Doctors of America
- Global Medical Training
- Global Service Corps
- International Healthcare Opportunities Clearinghouse
- International Health Resources
- Medical Mission International
- Medicos del Mundo
- Project Hope
- Remote Area Medical (RAM) Volunteer Corps
- Northwest Medical Teams International
- Somos Hermanos
- World Health Organization
Summer Pre-Health Enrichment Programs: programs offering diverse opportunities to participate in clinical or bench research, and exposure to the medical environment. Some, but not all, will be directed at students underrepresented in medicine.
- AAMC GREAT Group Undergraduate Research programs at medical schools.
- Co-op/Internship Opportunities for a wide range of scientific and pre-
professional science disciplines from Rochester Institute of Technology.
- Explore Health Careers.org’s Pre-Health Enrichment Programs
- Journal of the American Medical Association
- Medical Education Online
- The New England Journal of Medicine
- AAMC (MD)2: Monetary Decisions (for Pre-Meds) and Medical Doctors
- Indian Health Service
- Loan Repayment/Forgiveness and Scholarship Programs
- National Health Service Corps
Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship Programs (HPSP)
Minority/Disadvantaged Student Programs
- Co-op/Internship Opportunities for Minority & Underrepresented Students
- Aspiring Docs.org, an AAMC campaign to increase diversity in medicine.
- NIH Undergraduate Scholarship Program for Individuals from Disadvantaged Backgrounds
Resources for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgendered Pre-Meds
- Gay and Lesbian Medical Association (GLMA)
- Lesbian and Gay Veterinary Medical Association (LGVMA)
- LGBT Medical Student podcast, University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine
- Stanford University LGBT Medical Education Research Group
Post-Baccalaureate and Masters Programs
Other Health Fields:
- American Association of Naturopathic Physicians
- Association of Accredited Naturopathic Medical Colleges
- Naturopathic Medicine Network
- All Nursing Schools: Guide to Nursing Education and Careers
- General Nursing Resource
- American College of Nurse-Midwives (ACNM)
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
- RN to BSN
- American Academy of Optometry
- American Optometric Association (AOA)
- American Orthoptic Journal
- Association of Schools and Colleges of Optometry