Certifying Eligibility for Services


Documentation is confidential information from an appropriately qualified health or other service professional who is knowledgeable about the student’s condition. This professional might be a therapist, doctor, rehabilitation counselor, audiologist, nurse practitioner, or mobility specialist. Documentation can vary in length and format, but should focus on the ways the condition currently affects the student, especially in an academic environment. Here are some examples of useful documentation:

    • Psycho-educational evaluation
    • Neuropsychological assessment
    • Individualized Educational Plan (IEP)
    • 504 Plan
    • Vocational assessment
    • Information on previous use of accommodations
    • Statement from health or other service professional
    • Mobility assessment

      The Disability Services staff uses documentation to better understand a student’s experience of their condition, identify impacts in an academic setting, and make informed decisions to determine reasonable and appropriate accommodations. Documentation must be printed on professional letterhead and include the provider’s signature, license number, and contact information. See documentation guidelines for directions on specific information that should be included in documentation for different disability conditions. If the documentation provided does not contain sufficient information for the Disability Services staff to determine whether an accommodation is necessary, the student will be informed of the insufficiency and additional documentation may be requested.

      When additional information is needed to determine accommodations, the Disability Services staff can help the student obtain what is necessary from the student’s current or past providers, which may require the student to sign a release of information allowing providers to send information to Disability Services. If the student is not working with a provider, the Disability Services staff can provide referral information to the student. Students are responsible for the cost of assessments and appointments with providers. Most health care professionals provide documentation letters at no charge. If this is not the case, the student is responsible for the cost of documentation.