Skip Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

We are here to answer your questions!

Amy SillanpaAdvisorsCathy CarlsonJoe Baggot  Joy Kluttz  Luyen Phan  

Julie Thornton  Marit Lysne  Drew Weis  Leah Wellstone  Carolyn Fure-Slocum

On this page, professional staff from the Sexual Misconduct Support Team and the Sexual Misconduct Adjudication Team answer questions we hear often.

If you have a question that is not addressed here, please contact any of us. We can give you information and discuss your questions and concerns. 

What are the differences between Carleton’s complaint process and the legal process?

There is a difference between Carleton’s complaint process and an external legal process. Carleton’s complaint process is an internal complaint process, which means that it was created for the Carleton community to be utilized for the Carleton community. Carleton students involved in a complaint, whether as a complainant or a respondent will be provided support, assistance and advice from Carleton College community members. The investigation will be an internal investigation, and the Community Board on Sexual Misconduct (CBSM), an internal college board, will be the decision-makers regarding whether a policy has been violated. Attorneys are not allowed to participate in the internal process.

The legal process, whether it is criminal or civil, is an external process which means that the process is outside the control and authority of the college. Anyone who believes that they are a victim of a crime, may take steps to file a criminal complaint with the local authorities. Victims of sexual assault who report an incident to the police need not retain a private attorney because the legal issues will be handled through the county attorney’s office. You may want to retain an attorney is you are accused of a crime, or are considering filing a civil action against the alleged perpetrator

  • Keywords: legal, police, county, attorney, internal, external, complaint

Other FAQs