Recordings of Convocations
- Created 16 October 2015; Published 28 October 2015Convocation: Todd Golub '85
Cancer research pioneer Todd Golub '85 applies the tools of genomics to the understanding of cancer. The title of his presentation is "How the Human Genome Will Change the Face of Cancer."
- Created 9 October 2015; Published 28 October 2015Convocation: Frances Moore Lappe
Frances Moore Lappé, founder of the Small Planet Institute, speaking about “10 Myths of World Hunger.”
- Created 2 October 2015; Published 10 November 2015Convocation: Anabel Hernández
Anabel Hernández, an award-winning Mexican investigative journalist, exposes drug cartels and political corruption in her presentation titled “Narcoland.”
- Created 25 September 2015; Published 25 September 2015Convocation: Clifford Clark
The annual Argument and Inquiry Seminar Convocation with Clifford Clark, Professor of History and the Hulings Professor of American Studies, speaking about “My Freshman Year and Yours: Politics, Technological Change, and the Future of the Liberal Arts.”
- Created 25 September 2015; Published 27 September 2015Convocation: Clifford Clark (audio only)
Argument and Inquiry Convocation with Professor Clifford Clark.
- Created 14 September 2015; Published 23 September 2015Opening Convocation 2015
Carleton’s Opening Convocation is an annual all-college assembly celebrating the beginning of the academic year and recognizing academic achievement. This year's ceremony features addresses by Amy Klobuchar, U.S. Senator from Minnesota, and Carol Barnett '86, Carleton Trustee (read their bios here).
- Created 22 May 2015; Published 28 May 2015Convocation: Esera Tuaolo
Esera Tuaolo, who publicly came out as a gay man after retiring from a successful career in the NFL, describes his experience in his talk titled “Alone in the Trenches: My Life as a Gay Man in the NFL.”
- Created 15 May 2015; Published 18 May 2015Convocation: Chude Allen ’65
Chude Allen '65 shares her experiences as a student activist in the Civil Rights Movement and a Freedom School teacher in her presentation titled “Just Being There Was Against the Law.”
- Created 8 May 2015; Published 11 May 2015Convocation: Ragamala Dance
Aparna Ramaswamy ’97 and Ashwini Ramaswamy ’03 return to Carleton with Ragamala Dance Company to present "Sacred Earth"
- Created 1 May 2015; Published 5 May 2015Convocation: Kathyrn Harper
Kathryn Harper from the organization Let Girls Lead explains how even in the face of poverty, violence, and discrimination, girls are not victims but powerful leaders and inspiring agents of change in her presentation titled "Invest in Girls, Transform the World."
- Created 24 April 2015; Published 28 April 2015Convocation: Daniel Kurtzer
Daniel Kurtzer, a 29-year U.S. Foreign Service officer, talks about "Shifting Sands in the Middle East: Implications for American Policy."
- Created 17 April 2015; Published 24 April 2015Convocation: Arsalan Iftikhar
Arsalan Iftikhar, an international human rights lawyer and global media commentator talks about "The Future of Islam, Muslims, and the West."
- Created 10 April 2015; Published 15 April 2015Convocation: Becky Morrison
Becky Morrison, founder of Globetops, an online community that is redefining recycling, being creative about what we do with our technology hardware waste, talks about “Revolutionary Ideas: How to Achieve the Impossible.”
- Created 3 April 2015; Published 8 April 2015Convocation: Ysaye Barnwell
Ysaye Maria Barnwell, member of the African American a cappella ensemble Sweet Honey in the Rock, talks about “Building Vocal Communities.”
- Created 27 February 2015; Published 5 March 2015Convocation: Saru Jayaraman
Saru Jayaraman, founder of Restaurant Opportunities Centers, draws attention to restaurant workers struggling to support themselves and their families under the often shockingly-exploitative conditions in her presentation titled "Behind the Kitchen Door."