But wait, there's more!
Weitz Center for Creativity
You think you've seen it all? Not unless you've seen the newest addition to the campus: the Weitz Center for Creativity! Designed to be a working laboratory for creativity – not only in the arts, but across the entire curriculum – the Weitz Center will transform how we teach and learn at Carleton.
- An innovative facility that fosters creative collaboration, reaching across all academic disciplines at Carleton—and beyond campus, into the larger academic and arts communities.
- Centralized support for multimedia and interactive technologies. From video and sound editing facilities to digital libraries and computer labs, the Weitz Center brings together both the equipment and the expertise that student and faculty need to make the most of new technology and media.
- Uniquely flexible multipurpose spaces for teaching, performing, working and creating. Theater seating can be reconfigured to accommodate a traditional proscenium, a thrust stage, or whatever a production requires; the dance studio can do double duty as performance space; the art museum facilitates teaching as well as exhibits; "white space" areas can accommodate anything from a visiting lecturer to a robotics class.
- New and unexpected combinations of faculty and staff under the same roof, some permanently, others for a residency period. Art meets physics; music meets math; traditional academic boundaries are set aside to create interdisciplinary partnerships in teaching and research.
- Community spaces encourage both impromptu and planned gatherings of students, faculty, neighbors and visitors.
Before you arrive on campus, visit the Weitz Center for Creativity website for more information, take a virtual tour, and see the current floor plans and designs.
We hope you find time to visit Carleton's Recreation Center: 200 meter indoor track, 4 indoor tennis/basketball courts, racquetball courts, 5300 square foot fitness center and weight room, aerobics studio, and climbing wall. The Recreation Center provides facilities and programs for a variety of types of recreation.
Recreation Center hours during Family Weekend:
Friday, 6:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Saturday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Sunday, 10 a.m. to 11 p.m.
To receive a Complimentary Day Pass, simply mention at the front counter that you are here for Family Weekend. Building supervisors will be happy to provide tours of the facility upon request.
Children cannot be left unattended in the facility. The exercise machines, weights, and climbing/bouldering walls are restricted to those age 16 and over.
Swimming Pool hours during Family Weekend:
Friday, 12:00-1:00 p.m. Lap Swim at West Thorpe Pool
Saturday, 3:00-5:00 p.m. Open Swim at Cowling Pool
Sunday, 3:00-5:00 p.m. Open Swim at Cowling Pool
Arboretum: The Cowling Arboretum (known affectionately as “The Arb”) consists of 800 acres of prairie and woodland. The Arb provides a network of running, skiing and biking trails adjacent to the Cannon River, and serves as an outdoor laboratory for field research.