The Soros Fellowship is open to New American seniors and recent graduates.
You may qualify as a New American if:
- You are - or will, by the application deadline, be - in possession of a valid green card. (Note: if you have a green card application pending and hope it will be approved by the application deadline, please wait to submit your application until you actually receive your green card.)
- You are a US citizen by birth, but neither of your birth parents was a US citizen or eligible for US citizenship at the time of his or her birth.
- You were born outside of the United States or one of its territories and were subsequently adopted by American parents and were awarded US citizenship as a result of your adoption. To the best of your knowledge, neither of your birth parents was a US citizen.
- You have been - or by the application deadline will have been - granted deferred action under the government's Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program. (Note: if you have a DACA application pending and hope it will be approved by the application deadline, please wait to submit your application until you actually have been granted DACA status.)
Note: If you are identified as a potential finalist, you will need to provide documentary evidence of your eligibility as a New American.
To provide opportunities for continuing generations of able and accomplished New Americans to achieve leadership in their chosen fields. The Program is established in recognition of the contributions New Americans have made to American life and in gratitude for the opportunities the United States has afforded the donors and their families. The Fellowships are granted for up to two years of graduate study in the United States.
The application and selection process will take place in the late fall and winter, and Fellows will be expected to begin their graduate study no later than the following September.
- Two essays on specified topics
- An institutional status form on present degree program
- Two letters of recommendation (one from faculty member; one from someone familiar with your performance in a work-setting - paid or volunteer)
- Documentary evidence that the applicant meets the New American definition (see above)
If you are interested in applying for the Soros New Americans Fellowship, you are urged to contact Marynel Ryan Van Zee, Director of Student Fellowships, Laird 131, x4300/mryanvanzee.