Skip Navigation

Housing & Residential Living

Residential Living Requirement

Residence halls and campus houses are an integral part of the Carleton learning environment. Living among other students provides many informal opportunities for students to learn about themselves, develop friendships, and discuss new ways of thinking. The mission of Residential Life is: to create a healthy, safe and thriving environment where students can gain experience, be involved and develop their interpersonal, academic, and leadership potential. To fulfill this mission, our professional Area Directors and student Resident Assistants (RA) help plan social, educational, and recreational activities in the halls and houses. These staff members are available to assist students in many ways throughout the academic year.

Carleton College is a residential college providing housing for all students who are enrolled full-time in classes on the Carleton College campus. All students except those married or having dependent children living with them, must live in College-operated residences and participate in the College dining plan for all four years.

The College offers a variety of housing options because it recognizes that residential options are desirable and beneficial for students. Housing opportunities include traditional residence halls, suites, houses, apartments and Northfield Option. The College recognizes the benefits associated with independent living environments and, as a result, offers a limited number of releases from the College housing requirement through the Northfield Option program. Students must receive prior approval from Office of Residential Life to be eligible for this option.

Students who are married or have dependent children living with them will be exempted from the residency and board requirements upon providing documentation to the Residential Life Office. Students with special dietary or medical needs should address their concerns to the Office of Residential Life.

Housing is available to full-time registered students only. Students who have withdrawn or who are on leave of absence are not permitted to reside in College-owned facilities and must vacate the residence halls/houses. Students leaving the College at any time during the academic year are responsible for packing their belongings and arranging for storage or shipping.

Approved by Residential Life on June 21, 2005.

Keywords: Northfield Option, meal plan, housing requirement, residency

Last Reviewed: Sep 15th, 2014

Maintained by Residential Life