Digital Humanities Workshop at Carleton
A two-day workshop for faculty and staff engaged in developing digital humanities projects at Carleton, Macalester, and St. Olaf colleges.
This event takes place each day from September 21st, 2012 to September 22nd, 2012.
September 21-22, 2012 | Carleton College Weitz Center for Creativity
The Digital Humanities Workshop will bring together faculty and staff interested in the digital humanities at Carleton, Macalester, and St. Olaf Colleges. Professor Teresa Mangum, Director of the Obermann Center for Advanced Studies at the University of Iowa and an innovative leader in the digital humanities, will open the workshop with a talk that will help us think about the nature of specific opportunities and challenges in the field.
Final Program Schedule
Friday, September 21, 2012
- 5:45 p.m. Registration, Weitz Center Main Entrance Foyer
- 6:00-7:00 p.m. Dinner, Weitz Center Commons
- 7:30-9:00 p.m. Keynote Speech, Weitz Center Larson Meeting Room 236. The Digital Humanities--Apprehensions, Opportunities, and Obligations, presented by Professor Teresa Mangum, University of Iowa, Oberman Center for Advanced Studies, Professor Mangum will discuss ways in which the opportunities and obligations always at play in the humanities are even more visible given the public nature of digital work. How do the digital humanities relate to the public and to publicly engaged humanities? What does it mean to be a digital humanist? Do you have to code...?
Saturday, September 22, 2012
- 8:30-9:00 a.m. Continental Buffet Breakfast, Weitz Center, Larson Meeting Room 236
- 9:00-10:45 a.m. Mellon Planning Grant Summer 2012, Seed Grant Recipients: Round Table Discussions (Rooms 131, 132, 138, 230, 233, 235, 236 - see program for specific location)
- 10:45-11:00 a.m. Coffee break with refreshments (Room 236 Alcove)
- 11:00 a.m.-12:00 noon Presentations on Fair Use Standards, Metadata, and Archiving and Curating DH Projects (Room 236)
- 12:00-1:00 p.m. Lunch Buffet (Weitz Center Commons)
- 1:00-2:30 p.m. Concurrent sessions on: Spatial Visualization (Room 235), OMEKA (Room 236), and Collaborative Tools (Room 230)
- 2:30-3:00 p.m. Wrap-up session: Next Steps in DH (Room 236)
Sponsored by Humanities Center. Contact: Susannah Ottaway, Humanities Center, x5446