Welcome, New Carleton Students
This website contains information for the class that entered in September of 2013. For those entering in September of 2014, information will be updated as it becomes available, but will be FULLY updated on May 16, 2014.
The following dates are specific to the incoming Class of 2018, for logistical purposes:
Welcome to Carleton! We know you’re anxious to get started filling out forms – which you can do after May 16th. The first New Student Mailing will be mailed from Carleton on May 16, 2014. If your mailing address is going to change, it's important you let Admissions know before May 1st where your mailing should be sent.
To help with logistics, here are dates you will find useful:
- Residence halls open: 8 AM on Tuesday, September 9, 2014.
- Parents leave campus: By 7:30 PM on Tuesday, September 9, 2014.
- Flights for winter break: Students can leave campus for winter break after their last exam is finished, as determined by their professors. The best policy is to arrange return flights on Packing Day (as long as students are finished packing, that is.) See the Academic Calendar on the New Student Website, under “Academics and Registration,” for those dates.
- Visitor resources: https://apps.carleton.edu/newstudents/nsw/arrival/
- Family Weekend (https://apps.carleton.edu/events/famwknd/) is October 17-19, 2014.
We want to help our new students make the transition from high school and home to Carleton College as smoothly as possible. To guide you on your way, we've created this information center specifically for new students. If you still have questions after you've read these pages, feel free to contact us for assistance.
- All new students should review this site.
- International students should also visit the Information for International Students site.
- Transfer students should also review the Information for Transfer Students.
Mailing #1 (for students) will be sent in mid May. It will contain your permanent Carleton username and a temporary password (which should be changed upon initial log-in), which you will use to log in and complete forms that are due over the summer. You cannot access these forms with the credentials you used during the admissions process.
Mailing #2 (for parents) will be sent late May.
Please note: Carleton's fall term begins in mid-September; and though registration information is available by the middle of May, First-year students don't begin registration until mid-August.
- Keep track of forms and due dates with our online Checklist. NOTE: Access to online forms requires your PERMANENT Carleton username and password contained in Mailing #1, mailed the 3rd week in May. Do not complete forms until you receive these.
- Maps, schedules, and more info about your first week on campus, including information about academic advising.
- Your introduction to academic life at Carleton. We'll walk you through the first year essentials step by step, including the Argument and Inquiry Seminar pre-registration and the registration process for your other classes.
- Residential life, getting involved, exploring Northfield, and more.
- Tuition, fees and other money matters essential to incoming students.
- Medical services, Disability services, Student Health and Counseling Center, and other student support services.
- Links and resources to help your student make a smooth transition into life at Carleton
- Special information and instructions for transfer students.
- Contact information and fast answers to common new-student questions.
- Signup info and archive for the summer email newsletter to all students and opted-in parents.