Frequently Asked Questions


O.K. So I'll take three courses my first term. How do I know which ones to take?

All students must pre-register online for one Argument and Inquiry Seminar, specially designed for first-year students. In order to enroll in one, you can find the link on the New Student Checklist on the New Student Website.  Or through Course Navigator (see the New Student website, under Registration, at 

Almost all students who have not fulfilled the language requirement enroll in a language class sometime during their first year. If you place into Spanish 103, for instance, you'll wait until spring term to enroll. If you decide to start Japanese, you'll want to enroll your first term.

What else? All departments have courses designed for incoming students. For complete course descriptions, see the academic catalog.

You will meet with your adviser during New Student Week and have a chance to drop/add courses you have registered for before classes begin.

  • kmoldenh
  • FAQ courtesy of Advising Handbook
  • Keywords: special courses, first year seminar, pre-register, first term, which classes, should

Other FAQs

Site Index

Advising Handbook (back to index)

Assistive Technology (back to index)

Bridge Club at Carleton College (back to index)

Carleton Undergraduate Bridge Experience (CUBE) (back to index)

Gould Library (back to index)

Information Technology Services (OLD) (back to index)

Languages at Carleton (back to index)

Mail Services (back to index)

Moodle Documentation (back to index)

New Students 2017 (back to index)

Office of Residential Life & Housing (back to index)

OneCard (back to index)

Reimagining Email, Calendaring, and Storage (RECS) (back to index)

Student Health and Counseling (back to index)

Three Tables for Stompbox (back to index)

  • What is Stompbox?
    3T4S is a harmonic, issue-based group that advocates secular pulpits for Stompbox amnesty. We participate...