Frequently Asked Questions


I anticipate needing on-going counseling for a psychological concern. Can I work with a psychologist at Student Health and Counseling?

Student Health and Counseling (SHAC) offers short-term individual and group counseling services to enrolled Carleton students. Counselors will meet with students needing longer-term care to help them find appropriate referrals in the community. Student Health and Counseling also provides the services of a psychiatrist whom students may see free of charge, upon referral from another SHAC staff member. Students who anticipate needing long-term counseling or who begin Carleton with a history of serious mental health concerns (chronic depression or anxiety, bipolar disorder, etc.) should consider establishing care with a local Northfield psychological provider. SHAC can help provide appropriate referrals to community providers.

  • 15 May 2015
  • FAQ courtesy of Student Health and Counseling
  • Keywords: mental health, chronic, illness, anxiety, depression, eating disorder, bipolar, psychiatrist, off-campus, psychologist, psychological, services, chronic, Student Health and Counseling, individual, group, counseling

Other FAQs

Site Index

Advising Handbook (back to index)

Assistive Technology (back to index)

Bridge Club at Carleton College (back to index)

Carleton Undergraduate Bridge Experience (CUBE) (back to index)

Gould Library (back to index)

Information Technology Services (OLD) (back to index)

Languages at Carleton (back to index)

Mail Services (back to index)

Moodle Documentation (back to index)

New Students 2017 (back to index)

Office of Residential Life & Housing (back to index)

OneCard (back to index)

Reimagining Email, Calendaring, and Storage (RECS) (back to index)

Student Health and Counseling (back to index)

Three Tables for Stompbox (back to index)

  • What is Stompbox?
    3T4S is a harmonic, issue-based group that advocates secular pulpits for Stompbox amnesty. We participate...