Living in a Diverse Community
Tips for Living in a Diverse Community
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions
If you’re curious about something, ask. Sincere questions are appreciated more than uninformed assumptions.
- Try something different
Take advantage of the many opportunities to explore new things at Carleton.
- Respect diversity
People from a variety of cultures, races, ethnic, economic and geographic backgrounds, abilities, sexual orientations, and religious and political beliefs enrich Carleton’s community.
- Be flexible, open, and honest
Expect to have some uncomfortable moments. Roll with them. Remember that learning can be experiential—it’s not always intellectual.
- Take advantage of resources
There are numerous resources to help you explore different facets of life at Carleton, to identify possible outcomes of your choices, and to support you as you make transitions. They include:
- Faculty Advisers
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgendered (LGBT) Adviser
- Career Center
- Intercultural Life
- Student Wellness Advocates
- Dean of Students Office
- Chaplain’s Office
- New Student Week Leaders
- TRIO Programs
- The Student Health and Counseling Center
- Student Activities
- Center for Community and Civic Engagement