Skip Navigation

Budget Committee Minutes

February 5th, 2009

  • Location: Sayles 251
  • Present: Chair Pablo Kenney, Co-chair Sam Ritter, Paul Ellebrecht, Nimo Ali, Amy Sun, Robert Stephens, Jinai Bharucha, Tim Foran, James Kerson, Dominic Vendell
  • Absent: Sarah Duane, Stephen Gee
  • Secretary: R. Orion Martin

Request 1: KRLX
Amount requested: $45
Amount recommended: $45

Request 2: Animal Rights Coalition
Amount requested: $60
Amount recommended: $60

Request 3: Carleton Contra Dance
Amount requested: $750
Amount recommended: $750

Request 4: Taekwondo
Amount requested: $500
Amount recommended: $0

Request 5: Carleton Forensics Society
Amount requested: $382
Amount recommended: $403

Request 6: Juggling F.I.S.H.
Amount requested: $117
Amount recommended: $124

Request 7: Carleton Competitive Ballroom and Latin Dance Team
Amount requested: $160
Amount recommended: $160

Request 8: Carleton Slow Food Convivium
Amount requested: $80
Amount recommended: $0

Request 9: Pool Club
Amount requested: $207
Amount recommended: $207

Request 1: KRLX
Amount requested: $45
Amount recommended: $45

KRLX requested funds for supplies to build giant radios out of cardboard. The radios will be for advertising. They will be stored in KRLX. The advertising guidelines which stipulate a small amount of money for advertising, have been ignored in the past.

Ritter said he sees KRLX as a special organization which receives a disproportionately large amount of funds.

Ellebrecht said that KRLX doesn’t necessarily need to advertise because everyone knows that it exists.

Like every organization, KRLX has some funding through Spring Allocations.

Foran made a full bid which stood unopposed as the recommendation of the committee.

Request 2: Animal Rights Coalition
Amount requested: $60
Amount recommended: $60

Animal Rights Coalition requested funds to host a vegan breakfast workshop for 15 people at Greenhouse eighth weekend (February 21st). They will discuss different options for nutritional vegan breakfasts, and demonstrate how to prepare vegan waffles and scrabbled tofu.

They will send out an All Campus Email and take the first 15 people who email with interest.

Vendell made a full bid, saying he thought it looked like a great event. The full bid stood unopposed as the recommendation of the committee.

Request 3: Carleton Contra Dance
Amount requested: $750
Amount recommended: $750

Carleton Contra Dance requested funds to help subsidize the Winter Stomp at the Northfield Armory. Carleton students will be admitted for free. Normally, admission would be $9.

Usually in the spring there is a contra dance in Sayles. Carleton’s contribution will subsidize the admission of students from other schools such as St. Olaf.

A group from Northfield organizes this event, and has recommended the contribution of $750 people. At the last event, there were 80 Carleton students.

Ritter said he considered this subsidizing the cost of the band. He said that if the event is funded, he would ask that it be used to fund the band.

If the profits from tickets do not cover the cost of the event, then Northfield groups will cover the difference.

Bharucha pointed out that if 80 students attend at $9 per person, that’s $720. She made a full bid with the stipulation that the money comes from honoraria.

Stephens was concerned about the particulars of the event, like how profits will be dispersed if there are profits.

Ellebrecht said he would prefer that the money be allocated for individual students.

Ritter said that because this is a unique event where Carleton students dance with Northfield residents, the CSA doesn’t have control over the specifics like ticket prices.

Bharucha pointed out that last week, Budget Committee approved a much smaller group of students to attend a conference in the Twin Cities.

Kenney said that the logically, we can assume that the Northfield Contra Dance Association would take any profits from the event.

The full bid stood unopposed as the recommendation of the committee.

Request 4: Taekwondo
Amount requested: $500
Amount recommended: $0

The Taekwondo Club requested funds for new equipment. All the current equipment is more than 10 years old. Taekwondo is a Club Sport and PE Class. They also hope to set up a uniform rental system which would lower the cost for students hoping to participate.

They don’t know who bought the current equipment.

In the class, there are not enough protectors available for students.

The equipment will be stored in the Rec. They have requested funds from the Club Sports council and the Rec, and have not received any.

CSA has funded clubs in the past, but not PE classes.

Ritter made a $400 bid, excluding the funds for uniforms. He said that this follows the precedent of Fight Club. If the club wants to have uniforms, they could ask their member to pay dues.

Sun was concerned that groups were coming to CSA for things that should be funded by the PE department.

Stephens agreed, and moved to table the request.

Bharucha said that perhaps giving a $0 bid would send a stronger message.

Ellebrecht said that there was no major precedent for funding PE equipment.

Stephens said that he felt there needs to be a dialogue with the PE department about this.

Ritter said that he’s doesn’t want to unnecessarily force the club to go back to Club Sports to ask for funds when they have already been rejected.

In the vote for tabling:
4 votes in favor
6 votes against

Schak made a $0 bid, saying that if the group wants to request funds from BC again, they’re welcome to. The $0 bid sends a stronger message.

The voting was as follows:
Ritter’s $400 bid – 2 votes
Schak’s $0 bid – 3 votes

$0 was the recommendation of the committee.

Request 5: Carleton Forensics Society
Amount requested: $382
Amount recommended: $403

Carleton Forensics Society requested funds for two teams to attend a tournament in St. Cloud. The Dean of Students academic account has traditionally paid for the tournaments before nationals, but they have used that money to buy tickets which they know they will need to attend nationals over break.

Foran made a bid of $403, reflecting the guidelines of 43 cents per mile. The full bid stood unopposed as the recommendation of the committee.

Request 6: Juggling F.I.S.H.
Amount requested: $117
Amount recommended: $124

Juggling F.I.S.H. requested funds to attend the Juggling Mondo Festival in St. Paul. Mondo Fest is a juggling conference where they will learn skills and meet other jugglers. The funds will pay for entrance into the gym.

Because they do not have a student driver, they will need to pay a student driver $60.

Ritter made a full bid.

Ali made a $124 bid in case the driver wants to go in.

Ellebrecht made a $57 bid, arguing that CSA doesn’t usually pay students, and this should be no exception.

Bharucha said that not funding the driver is penalizing the group for not having any campus drivers in the club.

In the recent past, CSA has not funded any student drivers.

Foran said that if there is a driver who might be willing to volunteer their time, then the bid shouldn’t be funded.

Ritter withdrew his bid. He said he supports the $124 bid because he does not want to penalize the group for not having a driver.

Foran pointed out that every group would like to have someone in their group paid to be a campus driver for the event.

The voting was as follows,
Ali’s $124 bid – 4 votes
Ellebrecht’s $57 bid – 2 votes

$124 is the recommendation of the committee.

Request 7: Carleton Competitive Ballroom and Latin Dance Team
Amount requested: $160
Amount recommended: $160

The Competitive Dance Team requested funds to attend the “Star of the North” dance in St. Paul. The members are paying their own entrance fees and food. The funds would pay for gas for campus vans.

Bharucha made full bid, saying she felt the group’s personal contributions to the funding for this competition were exemplary. The full bid stood unopposed as the recommendation of the committee.

Request 8: Carleton Slow Food Convivium
Amount requested: $80
Amount recommended: $0

Carleton Slow Food Convivium requested funds to have a tea party for 25 to 30 people. This will be their major event for the term this year. The funds would pay for food. They have already bought the food for this event.

Budget Committee is not allowed to fund things that have already been purchased.

Bharucha said that the group could return the food, make the request, and buy it again.

Bharucha motioned to send this to senate as a vouch safe. This means that Budget Committee is not making a judgment, but asking senate to look at it.

Ellebrecht pointed out that the event will occur on Monday before senate. He said he was opposed to retroactive funding.

Altbev cannot retroactively fund events either.

Bharucha recommended the group postpone the event. The group said that they would probably cancel the event.

Ellebrecht said that if we look at the bylaws, they clearly stipulate that Budget Committee should give a $0 bid.

Stephens made a $0 bid.

The voting was as follows:
Vouchsafe – 2 votes
$0 bid – 5 votes

$0 is the recommendation of the committee.

Request 9: Pool Club
Amount requested: $207
Amount recommended: $207

Pool Club requested funds to attend a pool tournament at the University of Minnesota Mankato.

Bharucha made a full bid, saying that senate supported the group by buying pool tables, and they should be allowed to compete. The full bid stood unopposed as the recommendation of the committee.