Skip Navigation

Budget Committee Minutes

January 7th, 2010

  • Location: Sayles 251
  • Time: 9:00 pm
  • Present: Blumberg, Jack, Masterson, Gee, Schuchat, Sun, Skov, Stephens, Lui, Hodes
  • Secretary: Jonathan Hillis

Marjorie Harrington/ Folk Music Society

Harrington requested $700 for the Folk Music Society to bring in folk musician and Carleton alumna Katie Dahl.

Gee asked why the Cave will not pay for this event.

Harrington said that Cave will pay for whatever is not subsidized by the Budget Committee.

Rose asked what made this event different from regular cave events, which are paid for by the Cave’s budget.

Bharucha said that the Cave is just trying to see how much money the Budget Committee will give first.

Gee asked where the estimate of 50 people in attendance came from.

Harrington said that there are many people in Northfield that may attend beyond Carls, and 50 is low estimate.

Gee moved for diliberation

Skov asked for clarification on cave

Bharucha clarified that senate pays for cave anyway

Gee suggested that senate pays for alumni guest house, but let the Cave pay to bring artist to campus.

Isak agreed with Gee.

Gee made bid for 45-dollar fee and let Cave pay for the rest.

Bharucha asked about publicity for the event.

Gee suggested that Cave usually pays for publicity.

Bharucha asked if Cave has funding left.

WOMAN IN BACK said that she doesn’t know, but the Cave probably used lots of money Fall Term, and has some, but limited, funds left.

Hodes suggested 400 bid to cover half of fee, Alumni Guest House, and publicity.

Gee rescinds his bid.

Skov put Gee’s bid back on the table.

Bharucha clarified two options: $400 bid and $45 bid.

$400 dollar bid: Gee, Lui, Blumberg, Hodes

$45 bid: Jack, Masterson, Stephens, Schuchat, Skov, Sun

$45 is the recommendation from the budget committee to the senate.

Bharucha clarified that Harringotn can come back if Cave doesn’t front money. She suggested meeting with Harrington tomorrow to draft email to the Cave.

Benjamin A Altshuler

Altshuler requested $2500 for a concert by nationally renowned musician Billy Jonas. Mr. Jonas uses "industrial repercussion" to make his music unique in both sound and method. Also offered, a workshop for interested students in this method.

Altshuler offered to play a sample of Jonas’ music.

Gee suggested hearing the sample.

Hodes asked where he will perform, and if he needs speakers and equipment.

Altshuler said that he does.

Gee asked if Altshuler has spoken to the music department and Campus Activities about funding.

Altshuler said he has spoken with the music department, but because Jonas is not faculty or academically oriented, they will provide space but not funding. Concert hall has been reserved.

Bharucha clarified that he also spoke to Campus Activities.

Sun noticed that the date was soon. She asked how it would be advertised.

Ben said he would talk to printing services and Campus Activities to get help on publicity. He is an individual, not an organization, so he will do most of the work himself.

Stephens moved to begin deliberation.

Skov seconded.

Hodes suggested full bid.

Skov said that it was a lot of money, asked for budget numbers.

Bharucha said everything is full. This money would come from special allocations. Clarified that there is about $16,000 in special allocations.

Skov wondered if full cost is worth it. He said that it is a lot of money for something that has unknown number of people that will show up.

Masterson said you can’t know attendance numbers for any event.

Stephens said that other departments have less money to give, so Altshuler can’t acquire funding from other places. He supported the bid, but wanted to knock it down some.

Gee agreed that you never know how many people will come, but reminded committee that the event has support of Campus Activities and the music department.

Skov said that it’s a huge chunk of the budget, but that the budget is there to pay for things, and this is one of those things.

Duane clarified that special allocations has $17,887 and honoraria has $10,000

Bharucha said that Habitat for Humanity is paid for half in spring and half in winter.

Masterson asked for clarification on the meaning of “full.” Bharucha said that senate splits funds between terms, so that it doesn’t go over budget. Stephens reminded the budget committee to treat the request like an end of term request. Hodes said that since there is more money than the committee thought, he wanted to pay for all of it. Bharucha asked for further deliberations. No more bids, so full bid will be recommendation. Since bid is over $1000 senate will consider it separately. Duane took over as chair of budget committee Bharucha stepped in for a request.

Bharucha said that senate has scheduled an open Town Hall meeting to discuss the Sexual Misconduct Complaint Process (SMCP) on Monday, January 11, at 6 p.m. in Great Hall. The purpose of this meeting is to hear an update from the SMCP Review Team on what they have accomplished this past
term. However, the primary purpose is for the review team to hear concerns, ideas, and suggestions students regarding the SMCP. Members of SHARE and CSA will also be part of the presentation. The presence of students at this meeting, like the last Town Hall meeting, is crucial. Input will be taken seriously in the next few weeks as the committee formulates concrete revisions to the complaint process. We plan to publicize this in a similar fashion to the last meeting, with posters, the all-campus email, NNB, and via email. In order to attract more students, we are providing a pizza dinner. Our estimates are based on attendance from the last Town Hall meeting, which had an attendance of over 200 students.

She mentioned that the was Curry Kebab for the last town hall meeting, and it wilkl be cheaper to do pizza. With the Carleton discount, it will cost 8 dollars a pizza. CSA wants to order enough for 3 people per pizza. They are expecting 180 students, which comes out to 60 pizzas, or 480 dollars. With a 50 tip, the cost will be $530.

Stephens asked how it was paid for last time.

Bharucha said budget committee paid for it.

Hodes asked how to justify paying for a CSA event when senate turns down other organizations.

Bharucha said it was crucial for CSA to get support of whole student body, and you need to have food to get people to come, so it’s crucial to the goal of the meeting.

Stephens disagreed that people are drawn to event because of food. He believed there would be snowball because of success of last meeting. Food is not the determining factor as to why people come to meeting.

Masterson asked if things like this were funded last year.

Bharucha said this is the first year of town hall meetings, and food will get constituents involved.

Schuchat thought food was a big draw for town hall events. She noted that there was more advertisement for last town hall, and asked how Bharucha will advertise.

Bharucha said that senate would do chalking, posters, emails, and visit study breaks.

Sun asked how many slices are in a large pizza

Bharucha said that each person could eat a large pizza, and senate is requesting one pizza per three people, so this won’t be a full meal.

Gee moved for deliberation.

Duane clarified that she must remain impartial.

Blumberg noted that when CAMS has speakers they get pizza, and it goes fast, so three people per pizza sounds reasonable.

Schuchat moved for full bid. She said that pizza is essential, and this is a worthwhile cause.

Bharucha clarified that there can’t be chalking because of snow.

Masterson added her support of full bid funding. She agreed that food is motivating factor. Next year, we can lessen amount of food because people will like the meetings.

Skov agreed that we should increase attendance and this is not the only important thing, and students won’t go to other important events because they don’t have food. He said he was uncomfortable that this event gets food just because it’s senate business.

Gee said that CSA is interesting because everyone is in CSA automatically, making it different form other groups. This is from 6-8, so most people can’t eat dinner otherwise.

Stephens said that dinner starts at 4:45, so people could eat. If we accept, we can’t reject any other group wanting food, because they will have the same rational. It is ironic to say that the only way Carleton students will show up is for food. Because food requests have been rejected in the past, it will be very bad on senate’s part. If we fund this, he believes food must be funded for everyone.

Blumberg added that getting into a debate over why people are showing up is beside the point and senate should focus on whether or not they will fund it. Not everyone here was at the meeting where we funded CSA food last time, but he agreed with Bharucha’s argument then and agrees with it now. Doesn’t believe that it sets a precedent where everyone ahs to have food bought for them because CSA is different.

Masterson agreed that it was funded last term and it worked well, so it should be funded again. She thinks that this event is different because it applies to all students.

Hodes added that because it is CSA that is requesting it and because everyone is a member, it is a different situation than activities that cater to specific groups.

Schuchat added that she would love to see people that are just there for the pizza getting engaged in the discussion.

Skov doesn’t see how this is different from other events where members see their cause as important to everyone on campus and aren’t funded. We can’t fund this just because it’s CSA.

Skov added a zero dollar bid.

Lui said this is different because it is a meeting to discuss a document that applies to everyone. The document will last longer than the effects of other group’s meetings.

Schuchat made full bid.

For:

Blumberg

Jack

Masterson

Schuchat

Gee

Against:

Sun

Skov

Stephens

Abstain:

Lui

Hodes

Bharucha asked if abstentions count as votes

Blumberg said that they count as no votes.

Skov said that said that he doesn’t think abstentions count.

Bharucha asked for online clarification on abstention votes.

Duane checked online. Abstentions will count as no votes.

Bharucha said that with five votes, it is a deadlock, so Senate will decide.

Finnegan explained that every year KRLX pays licensing organizations for "general operating and FM transmitting." By paying these fees, KRLX is paying the royalties to broadcast music over the air. Recently, because of lawsuits, the laws have changed so that now KRLX has to pay for its webcasting. These are new laws, so there are new fees that we did not anticipate when we applied for our annual budget from CSA. Additionally, because of the nature of the lawsuit, we also have to pay retroactively. Our lawyer has made it clear that these are fees we need to pay in order to continue operating, or else we may be sued.

Hodes asked who would be paid.

Finnegan said it’s a nonprofit called Sound Exchange.

Rose asked if we have to pay for 2009.

Finnegan said it came out of current budget.

Rose asked if KRLX could pay for the rest.

Finnegan said total budget is $4000, so not easily.

Gee asked where the money would come from, was the budget committee to make a bid.

Bharucha said it would come out of special alt.

Blumberg asked how many people listen online.

Finnegan said that she did not know numbers, but mostly students listen online, Northfield listens on radio.

Blumberg asked if it is more expensive to broadcast online or on air.

Finnegan didn’t know, but KRLX is paying the minimum.

Skov asked if other college radio stations are paying this too.

Gee moved to deliberations.

Gee made full bid. Doesn’t want to get sued. Asked what SESAC is.

Bharucha asked about status of last year’s funded projects.

Finnegan said that the first phase of the plans is complete.

Masterson asked if it counts as retroactive funding for the budget committee.

Skov said it does not, because this is new information.

Gee agreed.

Barring other bids, full amount of $2,370 is recommended to senate.

Post-bid discussion

Gee said that budget committee shouldn’t be under CSA, because then budget committee is undermined. Students should be asked if CSA could fund itself.

Bharucha said that other schools do this too. Clarified that this money is not for senate, it’s for CSA.

Gee said its stupid to argue about it in budget committee, because CSA can just overturn it.

Stephens said that it was wrong to fund it last time. Students feel marginalized by CSA funding its own things and not other group’s things. Wanted to be consistent and fair.

Bharucha said it could be seen as unfair to put CSA on a different level than other organizations, but CSA needs to get info from all of the student body, and they couldn’t do that by just asking friends.

Stephens said that for appearances and feelings and fairness said it would be easier to have another organization host town hall to avoid violating rules.

Hodes said no rules are violated by giving money to CSA. This policy affects the entire campus, so it is the CSA’s job to collect this information. Food will bring more people to the event. After last town hall, people said they came for the food, and ended up getting involved. Also, pizza will be cheaper than last time.

WOMAN IN BACK said food is argued at every meeting. Set food allocations in spring, and spend time arguing about other stuff.

Stephens said this is the line in the sand where budget committee just funds all food. We need rules to decide how to fund or not fund food. It looks bad when the benefactor of the money is CSA.

Bharucha said that reviewing budget committee happens this spring, so this can be hashed out then. Last term, the senate activity fee was lowered three dollars. If we are to fund all food requests, maybe activity fee should be raised back to where it has been.

Sun said that if we fund some food, we have to pick which ones.

Skov said that if food is there for purpose of attendance, we never fund that. Once we say one event is more important for another event, we run into trouble.

Schuchat said that the job of the committee is to make decisions. If there were just rules, there would be no need for the committee.

Gee added that this is going to get into larger argument, and should be discussed later. He clarified that he is not a senator, just a student-at-large, and he believed CSA is different than any other group.

Masterson said town hall meeting isn’t an event, it is a decision making process. It needs to be made, and we need as many people there as possible. Students would support decision to have food at this event.

Bharucha ended discussion for this meeting and asked whether the committee should find a time to talk about guidelines.

Gee suggested putting ballot referendum.

Bharucha said that it is an intense process to get it added. Could just be an opinion question. Bharucha decided that the issue will be discussed after a short budget meeting in the near future.