I am a syntactician whose research focuses primarily on the interaction between syntax and morphology. I am particularly interested in case and agreement phenomena and Icelandic is the language that I have investigated most closely. I also have a budding interest in the question of whether Mandarin contains infinitival clauses, thanks to my students, Lydia Ding and Yining Rebecca Liu. Below is a sample of my work. Lecture notes for a couple of my courses can be found to the left.
- CV (162 KB PDF Document)As of November 2016
- The Typology of Mandarin Infinitives - paper (358 KB PDF Document)Coauthored with my students, Lydia Ding and Rebecca Liu, this paper argues for the existence of subject control clauses in Mandarin. We examine and a variety of diagnostics and present new evidence based on the interpretation of "forget."
- The Typology of Mandarin Infinitives - LSA 2016 Poster (290 KB PDF Document)This is a poster from the January 2016 LSA Meeting. This work is a collaboration with my students, Lydia Ding and Rebecca Liu. The proceedings paper is forthcoming.
- Agreement and the Icelandic Passive-LSA 2013 extended abstract (334 KB PDF Document)This is the extended abstract from my 2013 LSA talk. I account for obligatory agreement in passives and optional agreement in constructions with a middle interpretation.
- Agreement and the Icelandic Passive - Linguistic Analysis, December 2015 (537 KB PDF Document)This paper explores the contrast between optional agreement in dative-nominative active sentences in Icelandic and obligatory agreement in dative-nominative passives.
- Agreement and the Icelandic Passive-LSA 2013 handout (414 KB PDF Document)This is the handout for my 2013 LSA talk.
- Dimensions of Variation: Agreement with Nominative Objects in Icelandic - To appear in Syntactic Variation in Insular Scandinavian 2017 (423 KB PDF Document)This paper is based on fieldwork and details inter-speaker and intra-speaker variation in dative-nominative constructions in Icelandic.
- Case and Phi Features as Probes (207 KB PDF Document)This is the proceedings paper from WCCFL 39.
- Variability in Icelandic Agreement: an Interaction of DP Licensing and Multiple Agree (279 KB PDF Document)This is the proceedings paper from NELS 40.
- What it Means to Agree: The Behavior of Case and Phi Features in Icelandic Control (175 KB PDF Document)This is the proceedings paper from WCCFL 35.
- Processing Plural DPs: Collective, Cumulative, and Distributive Interpretations (248 KB PDF Document)This is a manuscript which examines semantic theories of plurality in the context of processing.