- Newton, Iowa . 66 minutes. 9 miles.
Cold (-10 degrees!), sunny, and calm. Early morning run. Took it easy and felt OK.
- The Carleton College men’s tennis team just keeps on winning. The Knights overcame an early doubles deficit to post the 5-4 triumph over University of St. Thomas. The Tommies earned their four points atop the lineup—with wins at the first ... more
- An injury limited Cassie Clarke to only eight games her rookie campaign, but the sophomore infielder is doing her best to make up for missed time. Clarke collected five more hits on Sunday—including a pair of home runs—to raise her ... more
- For the seventh time in the last eight seasons, the Carleton College women’s tennis team has had the opportunity to play two levels up as the Knights test themselves against the University of Minnesota, a nationally-ranked NCAA Division I program. ... more
- There are obviously layers of politics in Russia of which I am ignorant. I'm also ignorant of the motivations of fanatical assassins who act on their own. (See Sarajevo in 1914.)
It's hard for me to imagine any one person ... more
- 1. I made two identical pots of chicken soup: one for today, with barley in and therefore no longer soup but barley stew (sort of mess-of-pottagey, actually), and one for tomorrow, to go in the fridge and get its share ... more
Today I accomplished two things:
1. I went to the library and established to my own satisfaction where the Uhō-Dōji 雨宝童子 statue came from. The statue is a late Heian forgery attributed to Kūkai. It’s associated with a document ... more
- To say that Micaela LaRose had a spectacular first day of the 2015 softball season would be an understatement. Despite the Carleton College squad settling for a split—7-6 loss to UW-River Falls and a 7-4 triumph over UW-Stevens Point—the senior ... more
- This important documentary gives a glimpse into the difficult training regimen of competitive presenting.
- The most difficult poemI could ever write…because,I’m looking back, from the frontseat, at all sentient beings, mychildren, and, what do I say?“No, we are not close to beingthere, not in a million Kalpas, ... more
- (The first in a new series of brief interviews with authors of forthcoming books)
1. Tell us a little bit about your book.
Burning Nation is the second book in the Divided We Fall trilogy. It continues the story ... more
As I’ve noted in a previous post, at one point there was only a single pilgrim allowed to visit Ise; a female relative of the emperor called the Saiō 斎王. Today we visited the Saiō’s classical period palace, called ... more
Carleton Athletics: Men's Track and Field: Seyferth Wins Twice; Knights First to the Line Five Times at Ole Open QualifierSenior Colby Seyferth was first to the line twice on Friday night as the Carleton College men’s indoor track and field team won five events at the Ole Open Qualifier.
- The Carleton College women’s indoor track and field team closed the regular season in style as the Knights eclipsed a pair of school records while competing at the Ole Open Qualifier. Sophomore Zoe Peterson bettered the previous standard in the ... more
- Football season is over, but I see that someone got left behind on the bench. It looks like she waited for the whole meal and coach never put her in? It’s okay, lady. There’s always basketball season.