Spring Break Housing

Spring Break Housing Application

Spring Break Housing is available for:

  • international students and students who live at least 450 miles away.
  • students taking courses at St. Olaf (If you are enrolled in a course at St. Olaf you will not be charged for housing.)
  • athletic team members with authorization from the athletic department.
  • students with at least a 20-hour per week job on campus with verification from their employer.
  • seniors working on comprehensive exercises.

    What is the cost?
    There is a charge of $70 per week (room only) which will be billed to your student account.  One week minimum stay is required. Partial weeks will be billed at the weekly rate (for example: if you are staying 3 weeks and 3 days, you will be billed for 4 weeks of stay). If you decide not to stay on campus over Spring Break, you must notify us in writing by March 10 to avoid charges. 

    Where will I live?
    Cassat and Evans Halls will be the only buildings available for Spring Break Housing. Applicants must locate a current resident who agrees to let you stay in their room throughout the break. Residents of Cassat and Evans must complete an application to stay in housing during the break. Rooms that will be completely vacated at the end of Winter Term are not available for break housing as they need to be cleaned in preparation for the new Spring Term resident(s). Your OneCard will need to be encoded on the first day of the break to give you access to your spring break room.

    Is the food service open during the break?
    The dining halls will be closed during the break, however, Sayles Cafe will be open limited hours.

    How do I reserve Spring Break Housing?
    a)   Complete an application noting the reason you are applying for housing. If you are employed by the College or an athlete, your employer or coach will need to sign the application. 

    b)   Locate a resident in Cassat or Evans Hall that will agree to have you stay in his/her room throughout the break and have him/her sign the form indicating agreement. Students are not allowed to occupy any rooms that are completely vacant at the end of Winter Term.

    How do I find a place to live?

    • Talk to friends of classmates that live in Cassat or Evans.
    • Talk to roommates and other students on your floor that are staying for the break to see if you can pair up in a room.
    • If you still need help locating a room, stop in the Office of Residential Life, Sevy G10, where staff will be happy to assist you.

    A $25 administrative fee will be assessed if our office assigns you a room.

    What if I want to change or cancel my dates of stay?
    We require one week written notice for any changes to your housing reservation. If you would like to change or cancel your stay, please send an email to reslife@carleton.edu indicating the change. 

    APPLICATION DEADLINE4 p.m. on Monday, February 23.  Your housing assignment will be verified the week of March 10th. If you have questions, stop by the Office of Residential Life, Sevy G10, or e-mail reslife@carleton.edu.

    Any applications for Spring Break Housing received after the deadline will only be considered if space is available and will be assessed a $25 late fee.

    IMPORTANT REMINDER:  Since the other residence halls and off-campus houses will be locked at 2 p.m. on Tuesday, March 17, you must have everything moved to Cassat or Evans by that time.  Please plan ahead.