Changing Rooms

General Procedure for Changing Rooms

  • Check for available spaces on the vacancy list in The Hub
  • Contact the current residents of the room/space to see if the room would be a good fit for you.
  • Work with your Area Director to go through and complete the proper process for room changes.
  • If all residents are agreeable, they should individually contact your Area Director indicating such so that your Area Director can complete the Room Change Authorization Form. If you are currently housed on campus, please be aware that on campus moves for future terms are allowed only during a one week period after available rooms are posted for the following term.
  • While or after the change is processed, talk to your current roommate(s) and let them know you will be moving and give them a timeline for your move.

Changing Rooms Because of a Roommate Conflict

Your RA is your first resource if you want to change rooms as the result of a roommate conflict. The RA/House Manager may refer you to the Area Director. Your Area Director will work with you in determining if the possibility to move exists and if there are any rooms with vacancies. The Area Director will be in contact with Residential Life staff and may at some point refer you to the office staff to accomplish a move.

Changing Rooms for Disability Accommodations or Medical Needs

  • If you need disablity accommodations

    There are limited housing spaces available for accommodations and priority will be given to individuals who are eligible to receive accommodations under Section 504 or the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Under the ADA, individuals must document the impact of their disability on major life activities. For example, individuals experiencing vision, physical and hearing impairment, neurological impairments, chronic life threatening systemic disabilities such as cancer, HIV, or Epstein Barr and/or traumatic brain injuries are eligible for academic and physical accommodations. All disabilities and medical history pertaining to the disability must be documented by a licensed and board certified medical provider with competence and expertise in the area of diagnosis. Special housing accommodations are not standard academic accommodations. Submit a Housing Accommodation Request along with the supporting documentation described in the next paragraph.

    In order to determine if special housing is a reasonable accommodation, we must receive detailed documentation of the correlations of your academic and cognitive deficits with the need for special housing that either cannot be secured through the Room Draw process or completed after a room has been drawn. Medical Documentation for Housing or Meal Plan Exemption must be submitted to support your request. Please note that special requests must be requested and approved annually.

  • If you are injured and are unable to use the stairs in the residence halls
    If a student is injured and is unable to use the stairway in a building, Residential Life staff will issue an elevator key that can be used until the established return date. Since the elevators in the majority of our buildings are freight elevators, only the injured student is allowed to ride in the elevator. If you would like to be considered for a temporary location to a more accessible location, make an appointment to talk with your Area Director regarding a move related to a medical need.

Students with disabilities requiring academic accommodations will want to contact the Office of the Dean of Students, Severance 113, for information on Disability Services.