After-Hours and Emergency Information
Student Health and Counseling is open 9 am - 6 pm Monday through Friday, with extended hours for medical appointments on Monday evenings until 8 pm. The following is information about accessing services after hours. Students should take their insurance card with them whenever they access off-campus medical care.
Urgent Counseling Services:
If you need urgent mental health service, licensed mental health counselors are on-call 24/7/365. For urgent phone counseling, access the on-call counselor by calling 855-705-2479 or by contacting SHAC at 507-222-4080 (select option 2 if calling after-hours). This service can be used for problem-solving immediate concerns such as:
- Concerns for self (suicidal ideation, self-harm, academic or social worries, strategies for managing stress, anxiety, or low mood)
- Concerns for others (worried for another student's mental health, wondering if your concerns for a student require urgent attention)
The telephone counselors are aware of campus and Northfield resources, are able to connect with local emergency care as needed, and communicate with SHAC staff to provide complete wrap-around services for the benefit of students.
Medical Services After-Hours:
If you require emergency medical care, call 911 or go the Northfield Hospital Emergency Room. For non life-threatening emergencies, care is available at local Northfield clinics and the Northfield Hospital.
To access health care in the evening or on the weekend:
Allina Medical Clinic (507-663-9000) Walk-Ins Welcome Anytime
- Monday – Thursday: 7:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Friday: 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Saturday: 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Northfield Urgent Care (507-664-9999) No Appointment Necessary
- Monday – Thursday: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Friday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Saturday – Sunday: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Family Health Medical Clinic (507-646-1494)
- Monday: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Tuesday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Wednesday – Friday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Extended pediatric hours: Open until 8 p.m. Tuesday (only for young adults to age 20)
Northfield Hospital, Emergency Room (507-646-1100)
- Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Emergency contraception (Plan B) is available over the counter at local pharmacies (during regular pharmacy hours). Note: Plan B is available at a reduced cost at SHAC during regular business hours.
Please visit the Carleton College Transportation website for information about how to secure transportation for medical appointments.