Everything old is new again in Margaret Evans Hall, which reopened in January following an extensive renovation. The building features new windows and doors throughout, and each floor has its own kitchen, lounge, and two shared bathrooms. The mechanical, electrical, plumbing, fire alarm, and sprinkler systems also were replaced.
Collaborative Design Group (Minneapolis) and PCL Construction (Burnsville, Minn.) completely reconfigured the 1927 building—now home to 148 sophomores, juniors, and seniors. Watch for Cave updates in the summer Voice!
The entrance is now at the south end of the building’s west side, and the exterior deck has been redone.
Each floor has a fully equipped kitchen and adjacent lounge area, such as this one on the third floor, where Grace Gilmore ’16 (Edina, Minn.) is studying.
Decorative tiles removed during construction were reused on the main entrance floor.
Columns and stairwells were replaced by a single hallway on the second, third, and fourth floors. All floors are now accessible by elevator. Gilmore and Swathi Varanasi ’14 (Flemington, N.J.) chat in the first floor hallway, which retains its barreled ceiling.
Jordan Palacios ’15 (Chicago) studies in a fourth floor double. The renovation added 36 beds to the existing 112.
Web Extra: View additional photos.