When do I have to decide to major in Chemistry?

All students will declare a major in spring term of their sophomore year. This gives you plenty of time to explore courses in many departments. Typically, most of our majors have taken an introductory course (Chemistry 123 or 128) plus Chemistry 224, 233, and 234 in addition to mathematics through multivariate Calculus (MATH 120 or 211) and a term of physics by the time they declare a major.

It is possible to declare a chemistry major after having taken only introductory chemistry (Chemistry 123 or 128). In this case, many of the courses majors take in their junior year simply shift to senior year. This can work with careful planning, however, your course selections in your junior and senior year will not be flexible in comparison to students who had more chemistry courses completed by the end of their sophomore year.