- To say that Micaela LaRose had a spectacular first day of the 2015 softball season would be an understatement. Despite the Carleton College squad settling for a split—7-6 loss to UW-River Falls and a 7-4 triumph over UW-Stevens Point—the senior ... more
- This important documentary gives a glimpse into the difficult training regimen of competitive presenting.
- The most difficult poemI could ever write…because,I’m looking back, from the frontseat, at all sentient beings, mychildren, and, what do I say?“No, we are not close to beingthere, not in a million Kalpas, ... more
- (The first in a new series of brief interviews with authors of forthcoming books)
1. Tell us a little bit about your book.
Burning Nation is the second book in the Divided We Fall trilogy. It continues the story ... more
As I’ve noted in a previous post, at one point there was only a single pilgrim allowed to visit Ise; a female relative of the emperor called the Saiō 斎王. Today we visited the Saiō’s classical period palace, called ... more
Carleton Athletics: Men's Track and Field: Seyferth Wins Twice; Knights First to the Line Five Times at Ole Open QualifierSenior Colby Seyferth was first to the line twice on Friday night as the Carleton College men’s indoor track and field team won five events at the Ole Open Qualifier.
- The Carleton College women’s indoor track and field team closed the regular season in style as the Knights eclipsed a pair of school records while competing at the Ole Open Qualifier. Sophomore Zoe Peterson bettered the previous standard in the ... more
- Football season is over, but I see that someone got left behind on the bench. It looks like she waited for the whole meal and coach never put her in? It’s okay, lady. There’s always basketball season.
Today, Ise Jingū is known exclusively for being a place of Shinto pilgrimage. But up until the Meiji separation of shrines and temples, there was a place you could walk to from the Naikū for another kind of pilgrimage. ... more
- We say we give latitude to a situation,meaning, we give it some space.We never say we give longitude toa situation…we should…it’s about time…giving time to a situation. The norm seemsto be we’ve already run ... more
- Sometimes current events offer insight into government and politics.
British Tory MP to leave Parliament after lobbying sting
Conservative Party lawmaker Malcolm Rifkind quit Tuesday as head of the committee overseeing Britain’s intelligence services and announced his retirement from Parliament, ... more
- Treadmill. 67 minutes. 10 miles.
Hilly, steady run. Pace down to 6:30, hill intervals up to 7.0% incline. Felt pretty good.
- Indoor Track. 27 minutes. 4 miles.
Easy 4 mile run plus 4x100 strides.
- Presidential candidate Buhari gave a major campaign speech in London a couple days ago.
Why in London? I can think of two good reasons: first of all there's a large and influential group of Nigerian voters in London and, secondly, ... more