- Although it's been very quiet around Mixed Meters lately this blog does have some traditions worth preserving. One of these is my annual encounter with Jingle Bells.
J.B. is a simple tune, useful as a musical starting point because everyone ... more
Doing Research Off-Campus?
- I saw a sign when I
was driving over a bridge
"Slippery When Slippery".
I had to pull over for a while and get out of the car.
Suddenly, a white GTO screeches to a stop...a red neck ... more
- Pospisil + Town. 72 minutes. 10 miles.
Cold (24 degrees) but not windy. Relaxed and easy run. Felt OK.
- Desert Ridge Open Lands. 69 minutes. 10 miles.
Cool (48 degrees) and nice! Ran on the packed dirt roads and trails adjacent to the hotel. Eased into a quick pace by the end. Felt good.
- Desert Ridge Neighborhoods. 69 minutes. 10 miles.
Cool (48 degrees) and wet. First 4 miles in 30:05, then 39:25 for last 6 miles. Felt good! Nice steady run.
- Desert Ridge JW Marriott + Mall. 71 minutes. 10 miles.
Cool (48 degrees) and nice. Easy run in the dark. Felt pretty good again. Decent pace the last half.
- Desert Ridge JW Marriott + Mall. 72 minutes. 10 miles.
Cool (48 degrees) and nice. Easy run in the dark. Felt pretty good. Eased into a decent pace. Flat, paved run.
- Most students in the USA won't be paying much attention today or for the next couple weeks.
So, I'll take a break here.
If you're planning for next semester, you can search the previous entries here using country names or ... more
One of the NBA’s most foundational qualities is how frequently the better team wins. While most American sports leagues—including the NBA to a lesser extent than the others—have chased parity as a way to keep fans of all teams ... more
Carleton News: Carleton’s Perlman Teaching Museum opens 2015 with “A Collection Embodied,” featuring recent acquisitions to the College’s Art CollectionCarleton College opens 2015 with a new exhibit in the Weitz Center for Creativity’s Perlman Teaching Museum. “A Collection Embodied” is a student-curated exhibit featuring recent acquisitions to the College’s Art Collection, offering over forty prints, photographs, ceramics and other ... more
Carleton News: Carleton brings internationally acclaimed Danish design collective N55 to campus for a five-week residencyCarleton College will host the internationally acclaimed Danish art, architecture and design collective N55 for an arts residency focused public space from January 9 to February 5, 2015. N55 members Ion Sørvin, Till Wolfer, and Anne Roome will collaborate with ... more
Carleton News: Science historian and psychologist Michael Shermer examines why people believe weird things in Carleton ConvocationDr. Michael Shermer, founding publisher of Skeptic magazine and the executive director of the Skeptics Society, will present Carleton’s first convocation address of 2015 on Friday, Jan. 9 from 10:50 to 11:50 a.m. in the Skinner Memorial Chapel. In this ... more
- They said on the roadbut they didn’t say where to.For them it was the path thatmattered because they werein the process of waking up,and they knew it intuitively.They showed their generationwhat was ... more
- I was a plumber,drove big trucks.I used to dance inmy driver’s seatfrom job to job tothe radio music.I thnk the only onesthat noticed mewere the ones thatgave me the finger. ... more
- Many people who try meditationsay they can’t because their mindsare too distracted, not realizing thatthe distractedness is the reason tomeditate, to develop clarity of mind.So, they give up, because theyexpected the heavens to ... more