- Plant Profile: Rough BlazingstarRough blazingstar ( Liatris aspera)* are distinguished from prairie blazingstar, by me, at least, because the composite flowers are arranged in very distinct clusters that look like individual pompoms sticking off of the stem. (This ... more
- I have six books piled on the corner of my desk that I intend to write about. But this one had to go back to the library a couple days ago.
I made a quick stop at Northfield's library to ... more
- Plant Profile: Stiff GoldenrodStiff goldenrod is in peak bloom in the prairies, along with many of its weedy and less desirable goldenrod cousins. The flowers differ in arrangement from other goldenrods, with flat-topped clusters of flowers. They flowers ... more
- The truth is always positive. If the truthexposes something negative, that is apositive effect of the truth.Some people think Mr. Trump is thesame as Hitler. Certainly it's true theydidn't come up with this idea ... more
- Big Dipper. 55 minutes. 8 miles.
Mild and nice. Easy run with some pick-ups along the way. Felt pretty good.
- Henik + Wilcox. 57 minutes. 8 miles.
Relaxed and easy run. Felt a little tired and sore.
- Solon-Lake MacBride. 69 minutes. 10 miles.
Mild and nice! Relaxed but decent pace. Felt a little tired. [Week: 47 miles]
- Ink Road. 55 minutes. 8 miles.
Easy run with 3 miles at 6:27, 6:23, 6:17. Felt pretty good.
- While participating just a wee bit in some post-vacation back-to-school shopping, I did spend at least a little time sitting in a chair near the dressing room to draw this lovely little bear trying out a new dress. My ... more
- The flowering of prairie grasses is one of my favorite phenological occurrences. They are full of contradictions... subtle by nature of their size -- in my experiencemost people don't notice them, or even realizes that grasses have flowers... and ... more
- Still playing catch-up here from our time away from computers and such: While biking through the Idaho panhandle with a bike full of gear, you begin to truly appreciate the wonder of the bicycle and its unique and fortuitous ... more
- Much like the summer heat isn't much good for the Arctic, my recent summer vacation wasn't much good for the Polar Bear Post Card Project... That being said, after nearly two weeks on the road and being mostly out ... more
- I call it the "smokalo", 'cause Ican smoke there. Center of town,school children, early teens,in uniform, so cheerful and sweet,hugging their friends, how delightful!Ran into old gringo blues player fromChicago. We did our ... more